Life Long Learner
“How many of us purposefully and explicitly model the learning process for our children? How many of us stand up in front of kids and say, ‘This is what I’m learning right now.” ~George Curous ‘The Innovator’s Mindset’
What is your one word that will be your next challenge? #oneword2018 When you look back on the past 3 months, 6 months or even a year can you say how you’ve grown? Think about it. Before you know it, you’ve been teaching for a handful of years, most likely in the same grade-or even the same room. If you don’t take the time to learn, grow and achieve the goal a new way you become stale. Your excitement dwindles because it’s the same old routine and your students will see it.
If you are in a job that encourages forward thinking and growth, chances are opportunities are within walking distance. Local trainings and webinars created by fellow colleagues with tools in your district and ideas that are relevant to you are readily available. On the other side of this equation, you may need to find that growth on your own. Here are a few tips to accomplish that:
- Follow a ‘#’ from conference: #FETC, #VSTE, #ice18 or #ISTE18 as examples
- hashtags will work on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
- attendees are encouraged to post what they are learning and often presentations can be found online
- join the conversation no matter where you are
- Online courses
- NorthTIER offers a multitude of inexpensive and current courses taught by local teachers
- Search for your favorite product and inquire about course work. Most offer 4-8 week options
- Search for those that interest you.
- A one day conference can be inexpensive and may be covered by school funds.
- Ask colleagues in your department for recommendations